- : in a circle around : on every side of : around
- a : in the immediate neighborhood of : near b : on or near the person of c : in the makeup of d : at the command of
- : engaged in
- a : with regard to : concerning b : concerned with c : fundamentally concerned with or directed toward
- : over or in different parts of
- a : reasonably close to b : almost c : on the verge of —usually used with be and a following infinitive —used with a negative to express intention or determination
- : on all sides : around
- a : in rotation b : around the outside
- : here and there
- : in the vicinity : near
- : in the opposite direction See about defined for English-language learners
- We're about ready to go.
- This one is about as bad as that one.
- That's about all I know at this point.
- It's about time to go.
- That's about all the time we have.
- We tried just about everything we could think of.
- This is an About page.
First Known Use: before 12th century
Synonyms: around, round
Antonyms: exactly, precisely