- Religion provides our morality through scripture.
- Morality is objective and we all have a God-given sense of right and wrong.
Christians use the Bible to define their morality and claim the values within as moral truths. Below are moral values taken from the Bible that otherwise have no reasoning behind them.
- Having other gods is immoral.
- Making graven images is immoral.
- Using God’s name in vain is immoral.
- Working on Sunday is immoral.
- Fornication is immoral.
- Homosexuality is immoral.
- Masturbating is immoral.
As is the theme of Morality Week, morality should be based on reasoning, not based on a book written well over a thousand years ago. Equating scripture to moral truth, using moral truth to prove God, and using God to prove the validity of scripture is typical theist circular logic. Worse, the idea of moral truth needing no explaination is dangerous. A theist doesn’t just believe abortion in morally wrong, they know it is evil. This gnostic morality is what leads to clinic bombings. If I knew I was stopping evil at the pleasure of the Almighty, who know’s what I’d be tempted to do. I realize clinic bombers are a rare extreme, probably driven by a mental disease more than religion, but to a lesser extent this moral gnostism is what ruins many families with gay children.