Friday, October 12, 2012

Politics Shmolitics

In an effort to expand my topic base, I’m considering branching out into related areas. I figure a good way to make a religion themed blog even more heated and controversial is by adding politics. My only hang-up is that politics ain't my thing...mostly because I enjoy being right.

Religion is pretty cut and dry. There either is a God or there’s not. If I was a believer, many more debates could be had about the nature, powers, disposition, mouthpiece, etc. of God, but I'm not. This makes it simple. I have very little doubt that am wrong on this single issue which, so far, has been the driving force of Deity Shmeity. Hell, it's in the name.

If I started writing about politics, I’d be far to wishy washy to make a compelling argument. Being skeptical is not conducive with punditry. There is so much spin that the over arching narrative of both sides of fiscal policy seems to lead to the same place--fairness. Is it fair that the rich pay more taxes without any extra incentive while the poor pay nothing and receive handouts? Is it fair that our system makes it easy for the rich to become richer and the poor become poorer? No on both counts. Fairness isn’t a marketable trait for either party.

I’m socially liberal, but that’s about all I have to say. I’ve done a gay post. I support feminism as much as a next guy (key word being guy.) My only passion politically is keeping church and state separate, but this is only periodically a problem. While there are plenty who want more bible in the constitution, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

So politics are out. There are enough political opinion sites out there and most of them do the public a disservice. If this blog morphes into something else, it won’t be the O’Reilly Factor. You’re welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I said find something you wanted to write about, something that you're interested in, something you have fun with and write about that. Don't go looking for things that bring in readers, you'll just burn yourself out. Take it from someone who knows. :)

    ReplyDelete