Thursday, November 22, 2012

Links Shminks #11

While this isn't strictly atheism related, my favorite astronomer, Phil Plait, left Discover Blogs for Slate.com. If you like space, he is a must read.

The Advocatus Atheist makes a case for why Superman is now as real as Jesus Christ. As with most of his stuff, I don't completely agree, but still find entertaining.

I'm writing a post about context, but Haus got there first so here's his. (I'm still posting mine in due time.)

Heroes of Science action figures, I'd totally buy them.

If you know a Catholic female with an ounce of girl power in her, ask if she would support an organization that would blatantly discriminate against women. If she says "no," tell her to leave the church. This applies to more than Catholicism  but they are perhaps the best popular example. Rosa Rubicondior expands on the notion.

This is an old post, but a recent tweet finally brought it to my attention. Atheists need a gang sign. It would be convenient to identify fellow atheists, especially those who are dragged to church over the holidays in an effort to maintain family solidarity.

Really, Louisiana? Really?

Vjack agrees with me and I tend to think he's right. (obviously)

I found this while reading to my kids last night. Worst. Nursery rhyme. Ever.
Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stairs.
Happy Thanksgiving, folks. I hope your goose, or turkey as the case may be, is cooked.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a horrible nursery rhyme! But you know what? In a way, it is kind of neat, because it shows you just how far we've come. Many, if not most US Christians would probably wince at that verse too. At least I think so... and hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving Grundy! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete